Valentines Day and your Pets
By: Alysssa Mages, B.S., CVT (Education and Development Coordinator)
He loves me, he loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not – they BOTH love me!!! This is undoubtedly what your pets know and will be celebrating with you tomorrow, but while this is a celebration of caring, it’s not necessarily a celebration for sharing…
Many of the treats and sweets we enjoy on February 14th can cause mild to severe issues for our canine and feline family members.
The primary concern would be – CHOCOLATE. Bottom line? NONE of this sweetness is recommended for either cats or dogs, although our canine companions are more likely to sneak this if possible. The severity of the toxicity increases as the theobromine (the active chemical compound in chocolate) levels increase – aka, the darker the chocolate, the more ‘toxic’ it is. Also, the smaller the dog, the more of a concern this ingestion becomes. Should you suspect, or know, that your dog has eaten chocolate of any form, call us here at MVA or your primary veterinarian immediately and get your pup in for evaluation.
You should absolutely take that time to stop and smell those beautiful roses, or lilies, or daisies, or whatever blooms you receive! Just PLEASE keep them away from your fur-babies – especially your cats. If you have kitties, kindly request that NO lilies ever pass through your door! The reason being that while roses, daisies, and other flowers would likely cause mild/moderate GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, drooling), lilies – even the smallest amount of ANY part of the plant – will cause acute kidney failure, and if left untreated, this can be fatal.
Extra snuggles, play time, toys, and pet-friendly treats are what we’d recommend for your furry Valentines this year, and as always please call us with any questions or concerns!
Ask A Question
It’s important that our patients and their families can get to know our doctors and the facility. Ask us a question about anything for a chance to see it answered on our blog.