Name: Lori Gilliam
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? I always knew that I wanted to work with animals from when I was young. My dream was to work with big cats as a zookeeper.
- How long have you been a VT? I’ve been a vet tech since 2005.
- What makes MVA a great place to work/ what’s your favorite thing about MVA? The best part about MVA has to be all of my coworkers. All of the medicine that we practice is amazing and I learn things every week there, but my coworkers definitely make for an enjoyable work environment. There are so many different specialties and departments yet we all work together for the good of our patients.
- What is your next professional development goal? VTS? Give a lecture? Learn a new skill? I love learning new skills and am always looking to pick up new things from my coworkers. I have always been interested in the critical care side of the medicine and would like to develop further in that department. Since beginning here a year ago there are so many new things that I have learned in such a short time.
- Do you have any pets? I currently have 1 cat named Mina. She is an 8yr old American Short Hair/Scottish Fold Mix who I have had since 6 weeks old.
- What is your favorite word? Anastomosis
- What is your least favorite word? I don’t think I have a least favorite word.
- What sound or noise do you love? My favorite sound is that of my cat purring next to me.
- What sound or noise do you hate? My least favorite sound is that of the emergency broadcast noise that comes of the radio in the morning or late at night.
- What is your favorite smell? My favorite smell is a tie between fresh cut grass or the smell of the marsh as you drive into the shore in the summer.
- What is your favorite thing about Autumn? My favorite thing about autumn is Halloween and everything that comes along with it. Haunted houses, craft fairs, scary movies, fall foods, etc.
- Do you have any unusual talents or special skills? I can wiggle my ears somewhat.
- What do you wish you had invented? The pet rock. Easy idea that made millions.
- What three things do you always carry with you? Phone, chapstick and nail file.
- What is your weirdest phobia? Spiders
- What is your guilty pleasure? Watching a movie and eating ice cream with my cat on my lap.
- What is your favorite phrase or expression? The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
- If you were a dog or cat, what breed would you be? American Short Hair Cat
Every year Metropolitan Veterinary Associates organizes a 5K run/walk (leashed participants are encouraged to join) with all proceeds benefiting local non-profit animal rescue organizations. To learn more about the MVA5K click here.
Save A Life
There are very few national animal blood banks. Your dog may be able to save a life by donating blood. Learn more about it today by clicking here.
Ask A Question
It’s important that our patients and their families can get to know our doctors and the facility. Ask us a question about anything for a chance to see it answered on our blog.