How to Contact Us  ·  610-666-1050  ·  info@metro-vet.com

My dog just ate half of my raisin bagel. Is this toxic?

Simply put, yes. Grapes and raisins cause an indiosyncratic toxicosis in dogs. This means that we don’t know what the mechanism of toxicosis is and not all dogs are sensitive to the toxicity. Because we cannot predict which dogs will experience the toxicity and because it does not appear to be dose-related, the recommendation for any grape or raisin ingestion is to be seen immediately by a veterinarian. Treatment consists of inducing vomiting, administration of activated charcoal, and 48 hours of hospitalization with IV fluids. These treatments are used to try to prevent the toxicity which causes acute kidney failure which can be fatal. In most, if not all cases, appropriate treatment results in an excellent prognosis for the pet.

Calendar

AEC v1.0.4

MVA 5K

Every year Metropolitan Veterinary Associates organizes a 5K run/walk (leashed participants are encouraged to join) with all proceeds benefiting local non-profit animal rescue organizations.  To learn more about the MVA5K click here.

Save A Life

There are very few national animal blood banks. Your dog may be able to save a life by donating blood. Learn more about it today by clicking here.

Ask A Question

It’s important that our patients and their families can get to know our doctors and the facility. Ask us a question about anything for a chance to see it answered on our blog.

...
Loading
0
Connecting
Please wait...
Send A Message

Sorry, we aren't online at the moment. Leave a message and we will get back to you.

Your name
* Email
* Enter your message here.
Ask A Question

Need more help? Save time by starting your support request online.

* Your name
* What is your question?
Ask
We're online!
Feedback

Help us help you better! Feel free to leave us any additional feedback.

How do you rate our support?